- Instead of frying, try baking, broiling and/or steaming.
- Instead of cooking with fatback and lard, stir-fry your greens with onions and garlic.
- Instead of using regular salad dressing, use fat-free salad dressing.
- Instead of fruit pies, bake an apple with raisins, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Instead of mashed potatoes with whole milk, prepare them with low-fat, low-sodium broth and butter.
- Instead of salt, use more flavorful herbs and spices.
Think of your kitchen as a healthy center. Your health depends on what you buy and how you prepare the foods you eat. When reducing the fat in your diet, add more herbs and spices to replace the flavor. Add dried fruit to rice when cooking for the flavor and texture.